Azarenka triumphs in Miami
A fortnight after defeating Serena Williams to win the BNP Paribas Open in California, Azarenka achieved something that even Williams has never managed – winning the ‘Sunshine Double’ – a feat that only Steffi Graf and Kim Clijsters had done before.
Azarenka’s 6-3 6-2 win over Kuznetsova in the final saw the Belarusian streak to her third Miami Open title without dropping a set in six matches. It was her third of the season after previous triumphs in Brisbane and Indian Wells.
“I want to dedicate this win to my family, for my parents, who I don’t see very often but my parents taught me some really great things,” said Azarenka, who climbed to No.1 in the Road to Singapore standings. “They gave me roots so I always know where I come from and they gave me wings so I can fly, so I can be here. Thank you so much.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner