Average Joe beats Andy Roddick…
Those that can, do – and those that can’t, write about it. It’s a tried and tested formula when it comes to being a sports journalist.
But for some reporters, being surrounded by top-flight sportsmen and women can lead to delusions of their own sporting grandeur.
“The skillet would severely limit his booming serves…”
It’s something John McEnroe managed to see in himself and set out to put right. The American tennis-great-turned-pundit arranged a quick hit with Rafael Nadal at this year’s Wimbledon to get a better idea of what the Spaniard’s opponents are up against.
The result? A sweat-drenched forty-something left with nothing but awe for Nadal’s repertoire of strokes.
So if professional sports stars are so superior, how do you level the playing field? This was one of the challenges facing Todd Gallagher as he set out on his quest to answer the ludicrous sports debates of Average Joes worldwide.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner