‘Australian Open will be the very safe Slam,’ boasts chief as he unveils ambitious plans for 400,000 spectators
The Australian Open will be bio-secure, quarantine-exempt, and accessible to around 400,000 fans, Tennis Australia Chief Craig Tiley as claimed.
The current coronavirus crisis is wreaking havoc with plans for the US Open and Roland Garros, but Tiley is expecting to have a little more freedom come the turn of the year.
Whether that plays out remains to be seen, but the current plans will be welcomed by fans who are currently being locked out of events.
“We’re going to open our bio bubble from the first of December and players can come at any time,” Tiley told Reuters.
“When the players arrive, our expectation is they’re not going to be in a hotel for 14 days like the current requirements are,” Tiley told Reuters. “We’ll have an exemption within this bio-secure bubble.
“We’ve said every year that we’re the ‘happy slam’. But now we’re saying we’re the ‘very safe and happy Slam’.”
These Australian Open proposals have emerged from detailed multi-scenario plans, which included some far more drastic possibilities.
“Scenario three was behind closed doors, a broadcast-only event. Scenario four was moving to another time of the year. And scenario five is no event at all.”
“We’ve established a strategy and an operational plan for all our fans and how they will be positioned around the site.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner