‘Australian Open defeat not the end for Serena Williams,’ says top analyst
Mats Wilander insists the Australian Open semi-final defeat to Naomi Osaka is not the end for Serena Williams.
Williams cut an emotional figure after the match, breaking down to tears when discussing her performance with reporters.
There has been some speculation that the source of that emotional was Serena Williams knowing it will be her last Australian Open.
Wilander, though, does not agree, and he thinks it was simply disappointment at not meeting her own expectations of herself.
“No [it’s not the end for Serena],” Eurosport expert Wilander said.
“I think we see those tears because I think she was disappointed in the way she played.
“I think she had really high hopes, she had a really good start. If she got to 3-0, it could have been 4-0, then 5-0.
“She was a bit unlucky and I think she has taken a step in the right direction.
“For her this is a bigger loss, because she is moving better, she is playing better and she is still not really close to Osaka and I feel that’s where the emotions start – she’s probably thinking, what do I need to do now?”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner