‘Auger-Aliassime is someone to take seriously. Can’t wait to play him’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas in Barcelona
Stefanos Tsitsipas is looking forward to facing Felix Auger-Aliassime in the quarter-finals of the Barcelona Open on Friday.
The world No. 5 and second seed defeated Alex De Minaur 7-5, 6-3 in the third round of the ATP 500 event on Thursday. Auger-Aliassime saw off fellow Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-2, 6-3 to reach the last eight.
“I found the conditions a bit difficult today. Alex was competing. He was running left to right, getting every single ball I was playing close to the lines,” Tsitsipas said in an on-court interview.
“So that was definitely difficult. And he is a good competitor, always puts out his best game. I think running and getting an extra ball back is actually his biggest strength.
“That’s what makes him difficult to play against, but I found ways to go through.”
Demon is EVERYWHERE
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 22, 2021
The 22-year-old Greek has won three of five previous ATP meetings with world No. 20 Auger-Aliassime.
Tsitsipas added on playing the 20-year-old: “I’ve never played him on clay. He’s someone that has done very well in recent years and he’s playing at the top of his form right now.
“(He) has worked with some professionals on the clay court field. So definitely someone to look into seriously. I’m looking forward to the next battle, to the next difficulty that’s set. Can’t wait to compete against Felix.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner