‘Auger-Aliassime has an advantage having Toni Nadal as coach’, says Stefanos Tsitsipas
Stefanos Tsitsipas said Toni Nadal joining Felix Auger-Aliassime’s coaching team is “really unexpected” and believes it is an advantage for the 20-year-old.
World No. 5 Tsitsipas is playing at this week’s Monte Carlo Masters – where he is seeded fourth. The 22-year-old Greek will play either Lorenzo Musetti or Aslan Karatsev in the second round.
“Didn’t see that coming. It’s pretty cool having a coach that has helped Rafael Nadal win so many important titles and has shaped his career in a way. (It’s) really unexpected,” Tsitsipas said in a pre-tournament interview.
“It’s really good for him. I feel like he has an advantage having a coach like this. But he’s not going to do the playing for him. (Toni) might give him a few tips and good advice. It’s all going to go out on the court at the end.”
Toni Nadal – uncle and former coach of legendary Spaniard Rafael Nadal – joined forces with world No. 21 Auger-Aliassime ahead of the tournament. The Canadian is due to face world No. 24 Cristian Garin in the first round of the Masters 1000 event today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner