Asics Gel Solution Speed 3
What can be more important than choosing a new tennis shoe?
In the Spring 2018 issue of tennishead magazine we reported on Novak Djokovic’s decision to switch from adidas to Asics. With time on his hands when he was sidelined with injury at the end of 2017, the former world No.1 was able to develop a shoe that suited both his feet and his gamestyle. He chose the Asics Gel Resolution.
But Japanese company Asics has a range of tennis shoes to suit most tennis players and the latest shoe to be given an update for general release is the Gel Solution Speed. In April 2018 Asics launched Version 3 of this top-of-the-range lightweight shoe.
Rene Zandbergen, Senior Manager footwear and innovation at Asics said: “My goal is to create the best possible footwear for every consumer. I love to work on the smallest details on the newest innovations to get the shoe to perform in the best ways. It’s the eye for detail and the philosophy for continuous improvement – “Kaizen” – that Asics is well know for.”
The Gel Solution Speed is aimed at players who value high quality materials and are prepared to invest in their tennis shoe.
There is plenty of clever technology in these shoes – the “propulsion Trusstic” system provides a stable platform that helps with forward and backward motion in sprinting and jumping. The system supports the tendon in the arch of the foot, which in turn helps the foot to become less fatigued as players move around the court. The shoe is also very light. “We are using a mix of upper materials to make sure the shoe becomes lighter in weight,” added Zandbergen. The reworked upper has mesh grills, which offer enhanced breathability.
The Gel Solution Speed 3 has plenty of cushioning in it too, with technology borrowed from Asics’ celebrated running shoes, so that players can be comfortable on court for the duration of a match or club session. The lightweight means the shoe is built for running and players who like to chase down every ball.
There are plenty of colours to choose from in both the men and women’s ranges. We particularly like the Black/Hot pink and silver women’s shoe (pictured above) and you might also be interested to know that Asics produce a specific claycourt shoe in the Gel Solution Speed range, perfect for sliding into the shot. The outsole was specifically developed to grip the clay court. There’s a subtler grey colour shoe (below) available in the men’s range.
Prices start around £130. If you view that on a cost per wear basis then you’ll appreciate all the work of those clever people who developed the shoe in the Asics Research Institute of Sports Science in Kobe, Japan, to evolve this top of the range shoe.
Players including Coco Vandeweghe, Julia Goerges, Vasek Pospisil and Steve Johnson wear Asics Gel Solution Speed.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner