ASICS Gel Court Speed Shoe
Keen-eyed observers of professional tennis will no doubt have noticed the successes last year of so many players who are ambassadors for the ASICS brand.
In the women’s game Johanna Konta and Coco Vandeweghe both finished 2017 ranked in the world’s Top 10. Konta reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon and won titles in Sydney and Miami, while Vandeweghe rounded off a fine season by leading the United States to Fed Cup glory.
Meanwhile Julia Goerges jumped 40 places in the world rankings to finish at No.14 after ending her year with successive title triumphs in Moscow and Zhuhai.
David Goffin also came good in the closing weeks of the campaign to finish the year at a career-high No 7 in the rankings. A late qualifier for the Nitto ATP Finals in London after winning titles in Shenzhen and Tokyo, the Belgian went on to finish runner-up to Grigor Dimitrov at the year-end championships before participating in the Davis Cup final.
All of these players have relied on footwear created by a brand that has expertise across a variety of sports and has built an enviable reputation within tennis.
The new Gel Court Speed is a shoe designed for club players who value high-quality materials but also have an eye on their wallet. “My goal is to create the best possible footwear for every consumer,” says Rene Zandbergen, Senior Footwear and Innovation Manager.
The Gel Court Speed, which was two years in development, is a brand new model in the Speed range. It aims to combine the seemingly two opposite qualities of speed and stability. To achieve this, the shoe incorporates many of the advanced technologies of the existing ASICS range.
For instance, the “Propulsion Trusstic” system provides a stable platform that helps with forward and backward motion in sprinting and jumping – allowing every player to channel their inner Gael Monfils. The system supports the tendon in the arch of the foot, which in turn helps the foot to become less fatigued as you move around the court.
Club players also want durability so features like “P Guard” have been included in the shoe to extend its life. The materials used on the outside of the shoe in the Gel Court Speed have been developed to last. “Hot meld” upper reinforcements add to the capacity of the shoe to endure many hours of on-court action.
Zandbergen’s team at ASICS have worked hard to ensure all of this is contained in a shoe that remains light. That is an important factor for club players, who are not as strong as the professionals. “We are using a new mix of upper materials to make sure the shoe becomes lighter in weight,” Zanbergen said.
Aesthetics also played a key role in the development of the shoe. Zandbergen said: “The goal with the Gel Court Speed was to create its own character with a clean, fast look and to deliver the high ASICS standards of a tennis shoe in terms of comfort, light weight and durability.”
Witness the elegant-looking colours of the women’s shoes and the inclusion of a dazzling blue and yellow men’s shoe – guaranteed to brighten even the darkest UK winter’s day.
With the launch of ASICS’ Gel Court Speed, club-level players have a shoe that benefits from the technologies developed for the pros, but one that also responds to their needs.
Ink Blue/Sulphur Spring/Turkish Tile
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner