Ashleigh Barty back with a bang as she wins Yarra Valley Classic on eve of Australian Open
Ashleigh Barty won her first tennis tournament in 11 months on Sunday before declaring herself ready for the Australian Open.
The world number one was able to out-muscle former Wimbledon and French Open champion Garbine Muguruza 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 to win the Yarra Valley Classic, and it’s something she hopes to build upon.
“It was some of the better tennis I played throughout the whole week,” Ashleigh Barty told reporters after the match.
“Garbine forced me to play at that level. It was a great final and I’m happy with the progression of the level of tennis through the week.”
Barty will experience the pressure of home expectation at the Australian Open, but it’s something she is ready to embrace.
“I’m just trying to come out here and do the best that I can,” she added.
“I’ve done the preparation, I’ve eaten my Brussels sprouts, done everything to put myself in a position that I can go out there and perform at the best level I can.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner