‘Anything is possible’ – Shapovalov confident of downing Djokovic
Denis Shapovalov will face five-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic in his first ever Grand Slam semi-final at 2021 Wimbledon.
The world No. 12 battled past Russian Karen Khachanov 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1, 6-4 at The All England Club.
Shapovalov has fought his way through a tough draw defeating Andy Murray, Roberto Bautista-Agut and Khachanov.
His biggest challenge stands in his way, 20-time Major champion Djokovic. The Serb has dropped just one set and cruised to the final four with a straight sets win over Marton Fucsovics.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 7, 2021
“At points in the match I thought Khachanov was too good and going to roll away, you kept fighting for me so thank you so much.” Shapovalov said to the crowd.
“It was super tough especially in the fifth set, we probably played the craziest game of my life at 4-4. I was in a similar position at US open quarter-final last year, so I thought just play each point as it comes. Great week for Karen, we both deserved it today.
Shapovalov spoke confidently ahead of his clash with World No.1 on Friday.
“Novak is the best in the world, but anything is possible. The scoreboard on Friday will be 0-0, nothing else matters it’s a tennis match that will go either way. I believe in myself and team, anything is possible.” he added.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issueof Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with ourWimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner