Keothavong targets Fed Cup play-offs
Anne Keothavong will spearhead Great Britains 2009 Fed Cup challenge and says the squad will be one of the strongest she has been a part of.
Anne Keothavong world No.60 will be joined on the British team by Mel South, Elena Baltacha and doubles specialist Sarah Borwell.
Anne Keothavong has enjoyed a breakthrough year in 2008 when she won four singles titles, reached the third round at the US Open and cracked her personal goal of a place in the top 75 of the WTA world rankings.
The Londoner isnt the only British girl to have had a good year though South is up to a personal best singles ranking of No.110 while Borwell is at a career-high doubles listing of No.107.
It’s great to be on the Fed Cup team again as it’s an honour to represent your country in the only team event of the year, said Keothavong.
I think this is our strongest team going into the event compared to previous years and it would be brilliant if we could make the play-offs.
The Great Britain squad, captained by LTA coach Nigel Sears, will line up in the 15-team Europe/Africa Zone Group I, which will be played out at the Coral Tennis Club, in Tallinn, Estonia, from 4-7 February.
The 15 nations will be divided into four pools with the four group winners going through to the semi-finals.
The two winning nations from the semis will qualify for the World Group II Play-offs in April 2009.
Visit the official Fed Cup website for more details
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner