Andy Murray withdraws from Delray Beach, saying: ‘I want to minimise the risk’
Andy Murray has changed his early season plans by withdrawing from Delray Beach due to Covid concerns.
Delray Beach is the opening tournament for the 2021 season and Murray had accepted a wildcard to play in the event.
However, he will now remain in the UK instead to prepare for the Australian Open, with British number one Dan Evans also pulling out of the US event.
“After much deliberation with my team I’ve decided not to travel to play in Delray Beach,” Murray said.
“Given the increase in COVID rates and the transatlantic flights involved, I want to minimise the risks ahead of the Australian Open.”
Murray’s plans for the Australian Open remain unchanged, though, with him still intending to use the wildcard he was awarded last week.
“We welcome Andy Murray back to Melbourne with open arms,” Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said.
“As a five-time finalist, he has been an integral part of so many amazing matches and storylines in the recent history of the Australian Open.
“His retirement was an emotional moment and seeing him come back, having undergone major surgery and built himself back up to get onto the Tour again, will be a highlight of AO 2021.
“We wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him in 2021.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner