WATCH: ‘I love playing tennis’ – emotional Andy Murray fights back tears after return
Andy Murray showed how much it meant to win on his return to Queen’s Club, saying “I love it, I love playing tennis”.
The former world No. 1 defeated Frenchman Benoit Paire 6-3, 6-2 in the opening round of the ATP 500 tournament.
“The body is old, but I did quite well today in terms of my movement and stuff. My first match on grass in three years,” Murray said in an on-court interview.
— cinch Championships (@QueensTennis) June 15, 2021
“I’ve only played three or four practice matches in the build-up to this, so I didn’t know exactly how I was going to play or feel, but I think for a first match it was good.
“I love it [competing], I love playing tennis. Obviously competing is why you put in the hard work. In the last few years I’ve not got to do that as much as I would have liked.”
The world No. 124 added on facing top seed and world No. 9 Matteo Berrettini in the second round: “Great test for me, Berrettini is a top player.
“[He] had a really strong French Open. [I] will need to play one level up from today if I want to do well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner