Andy Murray: ‘The younger guys have shown they’re not particularly close’
Andy Murray believes the Australian Open has been a humbling experience for the younger players who thought they were closing in on the big three.
Many fancied Daniil Medvedev to kickstart a changing of the guard when he faced Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final last week.
The Russian was completely overpowered by Djokovic, though, who won in straight sets with ease.
And, according to Murray, it has become apparent that the younger players are more pretenders than contenders right now.
“The younger guys, for me, they’ve not shown that they’re particularly close,” Andy Murray said.
“I expected the final to be closer. But it’s different standing to return or to serve in a Grand Slam final than a quarter-final or a semi.
“When you’re coming up against someone who’s won 17 of them it’s pretty intimidating.
“Obviously at the US Open, Dominic Thiem did what he had to do to win the event.
“But if Novak hadn’t put a ball through the line judge’s throat, it would have been the same outcome I think.
“The guys have been at the top for so long that they have won on every surface and have been really good on all courts,’
“The guys trying to get to those positions don’t necessarily play as well on all of the surfaces, so that reduces the opportunities to potentially win Slams.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner