Andy Murray takes wildcard to make early start to 2020 season at Delray Beach
Andy Murray will start his 2021 season at Delray Beach after he took a wildcard for the first event of the season.
Murray is now ranked 122 in the world after seeing his career decimated by injury since topping the world rankings in 2017.
That means he is largely reliant on wildcards for now as he attempts to rebuild his position in tennis.
It’s a quest that will now begin in earnest next year with Delray Beach the first ATP Tournament of the new season in the revised calendar.
He will not be short of competition, however, with Milos Raonic, Cristian Garin, Hubert Hurkacz, John Isner, Reilly Opelka and Sam Querrey all taking part.
Murray suffered a frustrating 2020 as he struggled to find any rhythm at all.
He registered a hugely impressive win over Alexander Zverev at the Western and Southern Open, although he won just one match at the US Open and lost in the first round of the Australian Open.
Andy Murray will go to America with confidence, though, after he beat both Dan Evans and Cameron Norrie at the Battle of the Brits before Christmas.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner