‘I’ve missed the Wimbledon pressure’, reveals Andy Murray
Andy Murray admitted he is looking forward to the pressure of playing on Centre Court at Wimbledon again despite feeling anxious about it earlier in his career.
The two-time Wimbledon champion is making his singles return at the All England Club – having last played in 2017.
Murray played his first matches since Rotterdam in March at the Queen’s Club ATP 500 event last week.
The world No. 119 beat Benoit Paire before falling to top seed and eventual champion Matteo Berrettini.
“I miss being on Centre Court and things like that. I miss the pressure of that as well,” the 34-year-old said in a pre-tournament press conference.
“I’m looking forward to feeling that again. I think six, seven years ago, I didn’t fear that pressure but it was something that I stressed quite a lot about that.
“Whereas actually when I reflect on the last few years, it’s actually something that I’ve really missed. Being and playing in front of a big crowd on Centre Court, that’s what tennis players and tennis fans want to do.
“There’s been times in my career I’ve been anxious about that. Whereas right now, I’m looking forward to feeling that pressure, I’m not anxious about going out there to perform.”
Murray – who is playing as a wildcard – will face Nikoloz Basilashvili in the opening round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner