“Andy Murray is my hero”, says Denis Shapovalov after “dream” win
Denis Shapovalov described Andy Murray as an “inspiration” and his “hero” after defeating the 34-year-old on Centre Court in the third round of Wimbledon.
The 10th seed reflected that he could not have played any better to defeat two-time Wimbledon champion Murray 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 to reach the last 16.
The 22-year-old Canadian will play Roberto Bautista Agut – who beat Dominik Koepfer in straight sets – in his first fourth round appearance at the Championships.
“This is a dream come true. I put countless years of hard work into every practice so that one day I could maybe play on Centre Court,” Shapovalov said in a post-match interview.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) July 2, 2021
“And to play against a legend like Andy today, to play a match like this. First of all – huge shoutouts to him. What he is doing, nobody has ever done. He is truly an inspiration to many people, including me.
“I’m just trying to soak in everything before I leave, It’s truly amazing to be out on this court and to play a match like today. I don’t think I can play any better.
“I told him [Murray] at the net that he’s my hero. Achievements aside, what he’s been able to do in the sport, to come back with an injury like this. And to play the tennis that he’s playing. Moving the way that he’s moving.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner