‘Andy Murray is in a position to compete with the best players again,’ says brother Jamie
Andy Murray ‘is in a position to compete against the best players in the world again,’ says his brother Jaimie.
Murray saw his career come crashing to a devastating hat when he topped the world rankings in 2017, with it taking him almost more than two years to get back to playing singles tennis again.
The timing of the coronavirus crisis has hampered his progress further, and he has been ruled out of the Australian Open after testing positive for Covid earlier this month.
However, despite all the setbacks, his brother believes the good times are returning for Andy.
“He’s done incredibly well to get to this point where he feels like he’s in a position now to go out and compete against the best players in the world” Jamie Murray told the Bunkered Podcast.
“It’s obviously been incredibly frustrating for him because he’s had a lot of setbacks along the way – it’s been very stop-start.
“Even 2020, when he was just getting back to fitness and was just about ready to go compete in Miami, Covid hit and the tour shut down.
“That was another five or six-month break. So it’s been difficult for him but I think he’s in a good place just now.
“That’s just the vibes I get from seeing him training and some of the matches we had in December.”
“I think this is obviously a huge year for him,” added Jamie.
“If he can stay fit, healthy, play a full calendar year and see where he’s at, what his level’s at, what he’s able to do week in, week out on the tour.
“He’s not had a clear run at it for two or three years, maybe even longer.
“He’s still got a lot of great tennis in him. His tennis ability hasn’t diminished in any way. It’s just obviously whether his body can cope with the demands of the tour.”
After missing out on the Australian Open, Andy Murray will begin his season playing the Biella Challenger event in Italy on February 15.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner