‘I was actually crying,’ German qualifier inspired by ‘icon’ Andy Murray
German qualifier Oscar Otte has described Andy Murray as ‘inspiring’ and a ‘huge icon’ as he gears up to face the Brit at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
Otte, who is currently ranked 151 in the world, came through qualifying before beating fellow qualifier Arthur Rinderknech in a four hour first round marathon, which was eventually decided by a final set tie break at 12 apiece.
The 6ft 4 German has previous in Grand Slams after taking Alexander Zverev the distance in the French Open first round and is now relishing the chance to face Andy Murray.
“He’s huge in tennis. When I watched his documentary when it came out, I was actually crying,” Otte said. “It was so emotional and so inspiring. I’m probably talking for other players, too. He’s just a huge icon in the sport.”
“Of course it’s difficult to perform at a high level with surgeries like this, but everyone knows he’s one of the best players ever.
“When he gets in control of his body, I think everybody knows he can still beat the top guys and [go] far in tournaments,” Otte said.
Discussing Murray’s ability to come back and perform at the highest level, the 27-year-old admitted he wasn’t at all surprised.
“I’m actually not really surprised. He has a big team behind him, physios, everything. I think they are taking very good care of him, and he’s just an unreal athlete and one of the best ever.”
“With my ranking, you don’t have the option to have big matches like this. I’m just really looking forward for the day tomorrow.”
“The crowd won’t be on my side, but that’s okay for me, of course. I have my coach here, my girlfriend I think can be enough, but we will see.
“In general, he’s an inspiring athlete and I’m really happy to have a chance to play against him.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner