WATCH: Andy Murray hits terrific slice drop shot in tense Wimbledon triumph
Two-time champion Andy Murray recovered from losing a 5-0 lead in the third set to beat Nikoloz Basilashvili in four sets on his Wimbledon singles return.
The wildcard prevailed 6-4, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 over 24th seed Basilashvili in the first round on Centre Court – his first singles match at the All England Club since 2017.
The current world No. 118 took a competitive opening set by converting the only break point when the big-hitting Georgian served to stay in it at 5-4 behind.
Murray then saved break points at 2-2 and 3-3 in the second set, before taking a second break point on Basilashvili’s serve to go 5-3 ahead.
— Tennis GIFs 🎾🎥 (@tennis_gifs) June 28, 2021
The Brit served the set out from 15-30 – including after hitting a sublime short backhand slice down the line to win a point.
The 34-year-old broke three times to storm to a 5-0 third set advantage, but failed to serve the match out three times, and could not convert two match points at 5-3.
He remarkably lost seven straight games to lose the set.
After a delay to close the roof due to fading light, there were three breaks in the opening three games of the fourth set – two going to Murray.
He closed out a nervy set 6-3 with his fourth match point to seal a memorable win.
It is his third ATP level victory of the year – having earned wins in Rotterdam in March and at Queen’s Club two weeks ago.
Murray will play either Oscar Otte or Arthur Rinderknech in the second round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner