Andy Murray hints at US Open appearance with Cincinnati Masters wildcard
Andy Murray is set to participate in the American hard-court swing after accepting a wildcard into the Cincinnati Masters on August 14.
The former world number one last participated in the singles competition at Wimbledon after withdrawing from the Tokyo Olympics singles event with a thigh strain.
Murray still competed in the doubles alongside Joe Salisbury, though following their defeat at the quarter-final stage the three time Grand Slam champion was coy on his return date.
However, the Brit’s team did indicate that the 34-year-old should be fit for the US Open later this month, and his wildcard in Cincinnati suggests that Murray is eyeing another appearance at Flushing Meadows.
Murray has enjoyed success at the Western and Southern Open down the years, winning the event in 2008 and 2011 as well as finishing runner-up to Marin Cilic in 2016.
Extra! Extra! Read all about it: https://t.co/iCuaLhjFbw
— Western & Southern Open (@CincyTennis) August 3, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner