Andy Murray faces tough opener on ATP return in France
Andy Murray suffered a disappointing second round defeat to Roman Safiullin at Open de Rennes last week, but will return to court against world number 26 Ugo Humbert in Moselle after receiving a tough first round draw.
Murray produced an excellent display against world number three Stefanos Tsitsipas at US Open, narrowly losing a five set thriller.
Last month, former British number one Greg Rudeski said Murray will get answers on whether he can compete at the top again by the end of 2021.
“I worry about Andy’s health. I had injuries in my career and it is tough to keep coming back. He has four kids, a beautiful wife, a great life out there for him and he has nothing more to prove in our sport. Rusedksi exclusively told Kevin Palmer.
The former British number one insisted that Murray can have a fulfilling life after tennis, and can leave the sport full of pride after achieving amazing things.
“I never had the success Andy has enjoyed with two Wimbledon titles, a US Open win, two Olympic gold medals, the Davis Cup… the list goes on and on. He’s had incredible accomplishments, but it is also about finding things in life after tennis,” he added.”
“Andy will get the answer he wants by the end of this year. If he can have a good run of being healthy from now to the Paris Masters, he will have his question answered.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner