‘Best set of tennis Andy Murray has played in a very long time,’ says coach despite defeat
Andy Murray played his ‘best set of tennis for a very long time’ despite losing to British number one Dan Evans in Roehampton.
Murray was playing his first competitive tennis for seven months, and will be encouraged by the fact he came through four matches in five days at the Battle of the Brits pretty much unscathed.
His journey was ended at the semi-final stage by Evans, who claimed a 1-6, 6-3, 10-8 win, but the scintillating opening set from Andy Murray was the big talking point.
“He’s played a fantastic set of tennis,” Murray’s coach Jamie Delgado said after the first set.
“It’s the best set of tennis I’ve seen him play for a long time.
“He’s had glimpses through the week and dropped off a couple of times. This is the most consistent set he’s played at this level for quite a while.
“He naturally ups his level the more he knows he’s playing a good player.”
Regardless of Murray’s injury troubles, it still represents a fine win for Evans, although he believes luck played a part too.
“He did a lot good in the first set. In the end it came down to the big points,” Evans told Amazon Prime.
“I got a little lucky today but I’m just happy to come through.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner