Alexander Zverev praises former Andy Murray coach for remarkable comeback win at US Open final
Alexander Zverev has hailed hailed Andy Murray’s former fitness guru Jez Green after his sensational comeback in the US Open semi-finals.
The German was trailing by two sets after a horrendous start to his semi-final against Pablo Carreno Busta on Friday.
However, he rallied to roar back to win 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 and book a place in his first ever Grand Slam final.
“At 3-6, 0-5, I was looking at the scoreboard, I thought I’ve got to do something,” Alexander Zverev said courtside.
“I’m lucky to be through. I feel OK, been working with Jez Green [Andy Murray’s former conditioner] the past couple of years and he’s done quite a good job with me.”
Despite his delight at coming through, Zverev admitted he was surprised at how poor he started the match.
“Down two sets to love, I couldn’t believe it,” Zverev said.
“I was supposed to be the favourite. I knew I had to come up with better tennis. But I’m through to my first grand slam final and that’s all that matters.
“Still one to go for me. I wasn’t winning many second serve points and had to be more aggressive. Can’t wait for the final.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner