Alexander Zverev powers into Olympics semi-final to face Novak Djokovic
Alexander Zverev has reached the semi-finals in Tokyo as a medal on his Olympic Games debut moved even closer.
The 24-year-old is the first German to reach the semi-finals of the Olympics men’s singles since Tommy Haas won the silver medal back at Sydney 2000.
Zverev defeated Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 6-4 6-1 in one hour and seven minutes to set up a mouth-watering clash against world number one Novak Djokovic in the final four.
This is Zverev’s first event since his disappointing quarter-final defeat to Felix Auger-Aliassime at Wimbledon.
The world number five was clinical in the first set, securing the break on his first opportunity to lead 2-1 before serving out the opening set in style.
Similarly in the second, the 24-year-old needed just the single break chance to break for 2-1. Zverev served outstandingly well throughout, with Chardy unable to create a single break point during the match.
Zverev raced towards the semi-final and dominated the second set to win it 6-1 on his fifth match point.
The German will play Serbia’s Novak Djokovic in the final four.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner