‘Abilities beyond compare, but…’ – Top coach explains what made Serena and Venus Williams dominant
Nick Bollettieri says it was mental strength, not physical, that kept Serena and Venus Williams ‘dominant’ for so long.
Bollettieri is has worked with a long list of what he calls ‘serial’ Grand Slam winners during his career, including Monica Seles, Jim Courier, and Andre Agassi.
When asked by the Daily Mail for his opinion on 18-year-old sensation Emma Raducanu and her long-term prospects of success, he said it depends on a lot more than just talent, and he used Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, and Venus Williams to illustrate his point.
“Maria Sharapova, who arrived at my academy in Florida aged 8, was distinct from very young,” Bollettieri said.
“Aged 11 or 12 she was running her own show, on court, desperate to get to work every day.
“I’d arrive to take a session and she’d give me a look that said: ‘Let’s just get this frickin’ ball game started!’
“Maria didn’t like a lot of talk. Everything was business for her. She was never satisfied, and to be a repeat champion is never to be satisfied.
“The Williams sisters were the same. They had physical abilities beyond compare, but it was focus, not letting outside distractions overtake you.
“That kept them so dominant for so long.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner