A year to remember: Girafa hits heady heights
French Open provided the backdrop to a changing of the guard at the top of the men’s individual doubles world rankings as Brazilian Marcelo Melo ended a run of more than three years in the rankings penthouse by the Bryan brothers.
The 6ft 8in ‘Girafa’ won consecutive titles in Tokyo, Shanghai, Vienna and Paris before appearing at the ATP Finals at the O2 alongside regular partner Ivan Dodig.
Melo follows in the footsteps of fellow Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten, who became world No.1 in singles in December. Like Kuerten, a three-time French Open champion, Melo won his first men’s doubles Grand Slam at Roland Garros, winning the title in June with Dodig.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner