A year to remember: Garbine’s big break
Spaniard Garbine Muguruza will look back to 2015 as the year she announced her arrival at the top of the game. The Venezuelan-born 22-year-old who lives in Barcelona made the last eight at Roland Garros before a memorable, swashbuckling run to the Wimbledon final.
Almost as impressive was the youngster’s staying power towards the end of the calendar after an indifferent US hard court swing.
Muguruza won just one match in Toronto, Cincinnati and New York but then finished runner-up in Wuhan, won Beijing and reached the singles semi-finals and doubles final at the Singapore WTA Finals in October.
This is an excerpt from “2015: A Year to Remember” in tennishead Volume 6 Issue 6. Subscribe to the magazine today or purchase a gift subscription – just £29 including UK delivery. We’ll email you a gift voucher to print off to give to the recipient and deliver the new issue after Christmas.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner