2009 Oz Open to be richest ever
Whoever is crowned mens and ladies singles champions at next years Australian Open will earn themselves the biggest winners cheques in the events history, it was announced on Wednesday.
The 2009 mens and womens champions will walk away with AUS $1.62 million each, up 18 per cent on 2008.
Tournament chiefs said the overall prize pot will go from AUS $20.6 million to AUS $22 million next year.
The new prize fund was unveiled at the official launch of the 2009 Australian Open, which will run from January 19 to February 1.
Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova are the defending champions.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner