Zverev reveals he and Thiem ‘had incredible practice’ before shock defeat
Alexander Zverev spoke on the early French Open exit of Dominic Thiem and how matches and practice are two very different stories.
Alexander Zverev came through from two sets down against Oscar Otte, while Dominic Thiem suffered such a result reversal to Spaniard Pablo Andujar.
“[Matches are] very different to practice,” Zverev stated during his post-match press conference. “To be honest, me and Dominic [Thiem] practised yesterday. We had an incredible practice.
“The way we were playing, the level was incredibly high, and he lost today.”
Thiem has had a rocky start to his 2021 season, so far securing a 9-8 win-loss record including this French Open loss.
By contrast, in 2019, the last full tour season, Thiem had twice as many wins by the French Open, holding an 18-8 record.
Overall, the Austrian has struggled for form since winning his maiden Grand Slam title at the 2020 US Open, where he defeated Alexander Zverev from two sets to love down in the final.
“Matches and practices are still a little bit different. You still need the matches,” Zverev concluded on the Thiem situation.
Alexander Zverev will face Russian qualifier Roman Safiullin in the second round.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner