‘You need to be ready for anything against Fabio Fognini’, says Casper Ruud after reaching Monte Carlo semi-finals
Casper Ruud reached the semi-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters 2021 by beating defending champion Fabio Fognini on Friday.
The 22-year-old Norwegian prevailed 6-4, 6-3 over 2019 winner Fognini in the quarter-finals of the ATP Masters 1000 tournament. The world No. 27 will face either Rafael Nadal or Andrey Rublev in the semi-finals.
“It was a tough match today. It has been a great week for me so far. I have beaten good players and today was a very big challenge,” Ruud said in his post-match interview.
“Fabio is the defending champion here and he plays very tricky. He can hit winners from anywhere and you really need to be ready for anything to come at you.
“I was happy with the way I was able to stay steady and make him play an extra ball here and there to force an error out of his play. It’s a nice feeling to be in the semi-finals.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 16, 2021
“He forces you to (commit) some more errors than maybe I wanted to play because he can fire off from both sides, forehands, backhands, down the line, drop shots. You really need to be on your toes and ready for anything to come.
“I think we have both played better tennis in our lives than this match but, at the end of the day, I was able to hit a couple more extra balls to force the errors out of his racket and also I stepped on some big points. That was the key for the win today.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner