Yorkshireman downs the X Man in Mons
British No.9 Jonny Marray recorded one of the best wins of his career on Tuesday when he took out former Wimbledon semi-finalist Xavier Malisse in straight sets.
Jonny Marray from Sheffield, who is still rebuilding his career after shoulder surgery, beat the former world No.19 7-5, 6-3 in the first round of the $125,000 Mons Challenger.
Jonny Marray has slowly been rediscovering his form after being sidelined between Wimbledon 2007 and May this year.
His world ranking is now moving in the right direction he currently stands at No.551 towards his career high listing of No.215 which he peaked at in 2005.
His victory in Belgium on Tuesday avenged the five-set defeat Malisse inflicted on him in the first round at Wimbledon back in 2005.
Jonny Marray will go on to play either another Belgian, Olivier Rochus, or Colombian Alejandro Falla in round two.
I was looking forward to the match the moment I heard the draw, Marray said on his personal website.
This is why you want to play tennis to compete with the home favourite in the showcase match in a decent tournament.
I was just glad to be able to put it out there and put on a decent display.
I didnt serve great, but I played well apart from that, and I’m just delighted to get my revenge its been a long time coming!”
Marrays result is the latest item of positive news for British tennis.
Tennishead favourite Anne Keothavong is enjoying the best period of her career having reached the third round at Flushing Meadows in August.
Last Sunday British doubles specialist Ross Hutchins provided the latest ray of sunshine ATP title alongside Aussie Stephen Huss.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner