Wimbledon to host British Davis Cup clash
Great Britain will play their Davis Cup World Group play-off against Austria on the No.1 Court at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon, from 19-21 September 2008, the LTA has announced.
The last Davis Cup tie played at Wimbledon was in September 2007 when Great Britain thrashed Croatia 4-1. It will be only the fifth time a Davis Cup tie has been played at Wimbledon in the last 30 years.
Great Britain Captain John Lloyd said: I am delighted that this crucial tie is going to be played at Wimbledon which is a fantastic venue and I firmly believe that playing on grass will give us the best opportunity to win the tie.
Its a tough draw but one that we are fully capable of winning. I am sure tennis fans will get behind the team and come along to support the players in our bid to return to the World Group in 2009.
The box office will be open from the middle of June. Great Britain are taking part in the play-offs after a 4-1 defeat to Argentina in February in the first round of the World Group.
Austria also lost in the first round of the World Group, beaten 4-1 by the USA .
The winner of the tie will go on to play in the World Group in 2009.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner