‘Wimbledon is by far the best shot for Roger Federer to win a major’, says Andy Roddick
Andy Roddick believes Wimbledon is ‘by far the best shot’ for Roger Federer to win a major and playing Geneva and Roland Garros will help him build fitness.
Federer will play in just his second event since the 2020 Australian Open at the ATP 250 in Geneva this month, before featuring at the French Open.
Roddick, and another former world No. 1 Jim Courier, both believe the 39-year-old Swiss is playing on clay for grass court preparation rather than results.
“Match reps are completely different. Playing a couple of practice sets, going through your fitness is just not the same as actually getting match value,” 2003 US Open winner Roddick told Tennis Channel Live.
“So, getting into Geneva – take your lumps, hopefully you win some matches. Go to Roland Garros, see how your body feels over best-of-five.
“That’s a base layer for the run he wants to make at Wimbledon. That’s his best shot at a major by far at this point in his career.”
Four-time Grand Slam champion Courier said: “All of this, clay is just a preamble to the main course – which is the grass court season.
“That’s what he’s really trying to get himself ready for, for sure. I don’t know that he’s that concerned about results as much as – how does his body come off the clay and into the grass.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner