Wilson launch Serena Autograph Racket
The launch of the Blade Serena Williams (SW) 104 Autograph Racket in Australia in 2017 will be only the 16th time in the brand’s 102-year history and only the second time in the last 38 years that Wilson has celebrated an athlete with an Autograph racket.
“We are excited to celebrate Serena Williams as an athlete, a tennis icon, a partner, and a friend,” said Hans-Martin Reh, General Manager of Wilson Racquet Sports. “She is a game-changer in the truest sense. And her ability to rewrite tennis history and inspire a new generation of tennis players is invaluable to a sport we all are incredibly passionate about. The Wilson Autograph racket is the highest honour we as a brand can give an athlete and we are tremendously proud to recognise Serena in this way.”
The Blade SW 104 Autograph racket includes a new material called Countervail which was developed by Materials Sciences Corporation for NASA and uses a patented carbon fibre architecture, which when incorporated into the racket’s construction means players have the feel of a traditional racket but get less vibration in the arm.
Additionally, the Blade SW 104 Autograph includes the brand’s “Parallel Drilling” technology, which ensures the racket’s grommet holes are parallel with the string bed. This expands the racket’s sweet spot size by up to 26 per cent, resulting in more power and a forgiving feel.
The racket features the patent-pending X2 Ergo Handle, which offers players a more optimal, personalised feel on the modern two-handed backhand. Wilson LABS developed this player-directed handle insert system to allow every athlete to customise an ergonomic handle shape to optimise their grip. The X2 Ergo Handle provides the ideal form for the top hand to dominate the two-handed backhand.
The 2017 Blade SW 104 Autograph has a simple design and according to the manufacturer has “a specially engineered high performance paint never used in the industry before called Black Velvet”. It is a matte black paint, so not only does it feel great to play with, it also looks cool. The electric green accents at the three and nine o’clock positions on the frame, Serena’s initials in gold and a red Wilson branded butt cap give it a striking look.
Serena Williams said: “I am just thrilled that players of all ages around the world will be able to play with a Wilson racket that bears my signature. This racket feels like me – it reflects my passion, perseverance and drive – and I hope it energises and encourages those that play with it to always chase their dreams.”
The Blade Serena Williams (SW) 104 Autograph racket will be available worldwide in January 2017 and we can’t wait to get our hands on one.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner