‘We are very lucky,’ Andrey Rublev is grateful that the tour is able to resume considering the global COVID situation
Andrey Rublev considers himself and other tennis players to be very fortunate to continue playing and earning in the uncertainty of the global pandemic.
Andrey Rublev said that while tournament restrictions and ‘bubbling’ definitely need getting used to, it is not the biggest price to pay for the tour to carry on.
‘It was comfortable in Australia,’ the Russian told Championat.com. ‘After a touch two-week quarantine in my room, I could go out into the city, eat and walk wherever I wanted, finally felt freedom.
‘After the tournament I was in Moscow, where everything is also open, I managed to reboot.
‘You [do] have to get used to tournament ‘bubbles’, but I’m happy that we can play at all!’
Many players have commented on their circumstances quarantining for tournaments since the tour returned. They include Stefanos Tsitsipas, Denis Shapovalov, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Benoit Paire, plus recently Dan Evans.
‘It was hard when we lived without tournaments for five months,’ Rublev continued. ‘The whole sport stopped.
‘[So many] people [around the world] have lost their jobs or had their salaries cut.
‘We tennis players can move around the world, participate in tournaments, even when borders are closed. We are very lucky!’
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner