Wawrinka wins Geneva title again
Wawrinka conceded the first set to his German opponent but he fought back and eventually secured his second consecutive success in the picturesque Swiss city. It is the first title of the year for Wawrinka and he appears to be building momentum ahead of his arrival in Paris.
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga also tasted victory at the Open Parc Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Lyon. The home favourite, who has also won titles in Marseille and Rotterdam this season, defeated Tomas Berdych 7-6(2) 7-5 to win a 15th career trophy.
On the WTA, Samantha Stosur edged a gruelling encounter with Daria Gavrilova 5-7 6-4 6-3 to become the winner of the Internationaux de Strasbourg for a second time. It is the first time in two years that the former US Open champion has captured silverware in the singles game.
There was joy for Kiki Bertens at the Nürnberger Versicherungscup as she took just 56 minutes to defeat Barbora Krejcikova 6-2 6-1. The 2016 French Open semi-finalist proved to be too strong for her inexperienced Czech opponent, and she was able to successfully defend her title with considerable ease.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner