WATCH: Andy Murray shows trademark grit despite loss to Matteo Berrettini
Three-time Major champion Andy Murray was beaten in straight sets by top seed Matteo Berrettini in the second round at Queen’s Club.
The world No. 124 fell 6-3, 6-3 to the world No. 9 at the ATP 500 tournament in an hour and 25 minutes.
Five-time Queen’s champion Murray was unable to convert two break points in the Italian’s opening service game, before losing serve to fall 3-2 behind.
— LTA (@the_LTA) June 17, 2021
Berrettini then broke again to take the opening set, and carried his momentum into the second set to break again.
The 25-year-old saved a break point to hold for 3-0, and closed the match out with more impressive serving.
Murray will make his return to Wimbledon as a wildcard in less than two weeks – having last played singles at the All England Club in 2017.
The Italian fired 14 aces and won a superb 83% of his first serve points, compared to the 61% Murray won.
Berrettini will face another Brit – world No. 25 Dan Evans – in the quarter-finals at Queen’s on Friday.
Evans defeated Adrian Mannariono 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) in the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner