Vesnina wins big in Indian Wells
Vesnina prevailed 6-7(6) 7-5 6-4 in a marathon tussle in just over three hours in what was the longest final in Indian Wells history in terms of number of games played.
Vesnina, who beat five seeded players – including Angelique Kerber and Venus Williams – en route to the title, trailed Kuznetsova by a set and a break but battled back to claim only the third WTA title of her career – and her first in nearly four years.
“I won the title, and this sounds like a miracle for everybody,” said Vesnina who lost in the first round of qualifying a year ago. “I don’t think anybody could pick me at the beginning of the tournament that I could win this title. Me, either – I couldn’t pick myself!
“But then when I was kind of getting closer to this stage, and even today, I knew that Svetlana was the favourite to win the match. I didn’t care. I just wanted this title so much.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner