Unpicking the draw for Dubai Championships tennis: Who wins each quarter?
No 1 seed Dominic Thiem is on course to face David Goffin at the quarter-final stage in Dubai Championships tennis, whilst Andrey Rublev also faces a tough draw in his bid to win a fifth successive ATP 500 title.
All 16 seeded players will receive a bye into the second round, which includes players such as Thiem, Rublev, Shapovalov and the in-form Roberto Bautista Agut.
Predicted quarter-final 1: Dominic Thiem (1) vs David Goffin (5)
Dominic Thiem, who is making his first appearance in Dubai since 2015, will face a qualifier in the second round before a potential clash with Filip Krajinovic in the round of 16.
David Goffin, who beat Bautista Agut to win a title in Montpellier last month, will have to navigate past either Kei Nishikori or Reilly Opelka in the second round before a possible meeting with Borna Coric.
Predicted quarter-final 2: Denis Shapovalov (3) vs Karen Khachanov (8)
Third seed Denis Shapovalov faces a tough start to his tournament as a potential meeting with Jan-Lennard Struff in the second round beckons. Despite his superior ranking, the Canadian has lost his last four matches against the German.
If Shapovalov does progress, Hubert Hurkacz may await in the round of 16 before a possible rematch of the 2019 Davis Cup semi-final against Karen Khachanov.
Predicted quarter-final 3: Roberto Bautista Agut (4) vs Dan Evans (12)
Players such as Bautista Agut, Sinner, Karatsev and Evans all share the third quarter, which is arguably the most difficult to predict.
Bautista Agut, who is arguably one of the most in-form players on the ATP circuit having dispatched Thiem and Rublev in Doha, faces Matthew Ebden and may go onto face Jannik Sinner in the round of 16.
Evans, who comes into this event as the twelfth seed, will likely face Australian Open semi-finalist Aslan Karatsev in the second round before a possible clash with Lorenzo Sonego in the third round.
The draw has opened up for the Brit after a late withdrawal from three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka, who was likely to face Evans in a possible third-round matchup.
Predicted quarter-final 4: Andrey Rublev (2) vs Marton Fucsovics
Eight-time ATP Tour winner Rublev will face Australia’s Jordan Thompson or a qualifier in his first match of the tournament before meeting either Basilashvili or Fritz in a tough third round encounter.
Marton Fucsovics, who withdrew from his quarter-final clash with Andrey Rublev at the Qatar Open, is expected to face the Russian again at the same stage in Dubai.
First, the Hungarian will have to overcome Vasek Pospisil in a tough opener, before possible meetings with Pablo Carreno Busta and Dusan Lajovic.
Predicted semi-final match ups
Dominic Thiem vs Denis Shapovalov
Andrey Rublev vs Roberto Bautista Agut
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner