Tsonga in dreamland on eve of Masters Cup
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the last man to clinch a spot in the Masters Cup field after winning in Paris, is still getting his head round his semi-charmed season.
“For me, it’s just amazing; it’s a dream,” said Tsonga, who plays fourth-ranked Nikolay Davydenko in Sunday’s second match.
The Frenchman, one of four Masters Cup debutants, has surged up the rankings despite missing three months recuperating from knee surgery – a break that ruled him out of the French Open and Wimbledon, but may have left him fresher at the end of the long tennis season.
“I haven’t lately found my rhythm – physically, I feel good” – Djokovic
“I feel great,” Tsonga said, “stronger than at the start of the year” when he reached the Australian Open final, losing to Novak Djokovic, who faces Juan Marin Del Potro to kick off the week’s tennis in Shanghai.
Djokovic, who lost all three of his matches here last year after playing a heavy schedule in his breakthrough season, believes he is in much better shape this year, even if his failure to reach the quarter-finals of his past two events suggests otherwise.
“I haven’t lately found my rhythm,” the Serb admitted. “Physically, I feel good.”
I don’t know how I’ll get through a honeymoon – how am I going to sit still for five days?” – Roddick
Andy Roddick also said he’s feeling fit, and while he’s looking forward to the off-season to get back in peak form, he’s not looking forward to having an empty-looking schedule. “I was just telling my fiancee I don’t know how I’ll get through a honeymoon,” Roddick, who faces Andy Murray on Monday, said. “How am I going to sit still for five days?”
The 26-year-old admitted that his thoughts have turned towards his future in the game, believing he has maybe about four years of competitive-level tennis left – and that he’ll miss it when he’s gone.
“My bad days still are pretty good in the scheme of things,” said the American, who is still looking for a new full-time coach after splitting ways with Jimmy Connors.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner