‘I’m fine again, I’m normal again’, insists Dominic Thiem after struggles
Dominic Thiem said he feels “well again” with his shots and footwork after struggling with his game and motivation this year.
The world No. 5 opened up about feeling “emptiness” at the Australian Open in February after his maiden Grand Slam victory at last year’s US Open.
The Austrian took a six-week break after Dubai before returning in Madrid – but had a subpar clay court season by his high standards.
Thiem will play his first match since losing in the French Open first round at the Mallorca Championships ATP 250 today.
“Straight after Roland Garros I was going back on a practice court for almost two weeks on a hard court, still at home, just to fix my shots again, because they were not as they should be in the clay court season,” Thiem said in a pre-tournament interview.
All-star practice 🌟
— ATP Tour (@atptour) June 21, 2021
“Now I feel well again with my shots, with my footwork. I practised two days in Austria on grass courts and already four days in Mallorca and I feel pretty well. But on grass, you never know what is going to happen.
“The most important for me was to fix my shots, to improve my footwork, to move well again on the court and that’s what I did in Austria. It’s pretty normal. It happens. You’re working very hard for a certain goal, a big goal and then you finally reach it.
“In my case, [it was] after three lost [Grand Slam] finals before, so it was such a huge goal to reach and such a huge relief as well. After that, I started to think a little bit and I had a little bit of a lack of motivation as well.
“But with time passing by, it got better and better again. And now, I’m fine again, I’m normal again. I couldn’t play well enough for the French Open. Grass, you never know what’s happening, so you are just trying to gain some confidence, to practise very hard, to play well in matches.”
The 27-year-old – who is seeded second in Mallorca – will face Adrian Mannarino in the second round of the grass court tournament today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner