‘That was one of the best matches I have ever played here,’ says Daniil Medvedev
Daniil Medvedev said his win over Andrey Rublev was one of the best matches he has ever played at the Australian Open.
The Russian ace was in brilliant form against his compatriot despite the swelteringly hot conditions on Rod Laver Arena, winning 7-5, 6-3, 6-2.
It’s a win that puts him in the semi-finals and also grants him a career high ranking next week with him leapfrogging Dominic Thiem to number three in the world.
His main focus right now, though, is the Australian Open, and he was understandably happy with his day’s work.
“It was definitely one of the best matches I’ve played not only here in the last couple of years.”
“You just need to win and get to the semis of a grand slam. I think my game matches [Rublev’s] quite well.
“I’ve known him a long time so I know how to neutralise his big shots.
On his next match, which will be against either Rafael Nadal or Stefanos Tsitsipas, Medvedev added: “I’m really happy I can watch a match like this.
“I don’t think they’ve played many matches on the ATP Tour, but all the matches they’ve played have been three and a half hour matches out of three sets so really interesting to see.
“I’m going to prepare for the opponent, it is not going to be easy whoever wins.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner