Superb Stefanos Tsitsipas storms into Toronto Masters last four
The ‘Big Three’ all decided to sit out this week’s Masters event in Toronto but Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev have provided plenty of entertainment.
The French Open finalist continued his fine run of form with a 6-1 6-4 thrashing of sixth seed Caper Ruud that gave Tsitsipas his 45th victory of 2021.
Tsitsipas reached the final in Toronto back in 2018 with a breakthrough run, the 23-year-old was very happy with his quarter-final performance against Ruud.
“It was very close to being an excellent game. My intentions were clear from the very beginning,” said third seed Tsitsipas, who had Ruud on the back foot right from the start.
“I was not doubting myself in any way and kept things simple. Just played clean, aggressive tennis.”
With the ‘Big Three’ absent, the pressure was on Medvedev and Tsitsipas to reach the final of this tournament, but it was something he had prepared for.
“I was prepared for it, and I was sort of experiencing from a young age playing juniors, transitioning to the pros. It is something that you build something, something that you, I guess, know how to deal better over time,” added Tsitsipas.
“In the beginning it comes as a kind of something that you’re not really expecting at that level, but eventually you pick up and, you know, it becomes your new habitual life.”
The Greek will face big-serving Reilly Opelka in the last four.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner