Stefanos Tsitsipas avenges Wimbledon defeat at Tokyo Olympics
Stefanos Tsitsipas got his sweet revenge against Frances Tiafoe at the Tokyo Olympics to secure his place in the third round.
The Greek star buried the memories of his straight sets defeat to the American at Wimbledon with a comfortable victory of his own, seeing off his opponent 6-3 6-4 in 78 minutes.
The 22-year-old criticised a lack of fighting spirit when beaten by Tiafoe at the All England Club, though vowed that he had ‘learned his lessons’ ahead of their clash on Tuesday.
Tsitsipas had to deal with different conditions in the second round clash after Storm Nepartak forced the closure of the Centre Court at the Ariaka Tennis Park.
“There was [a different feel] yeah,” admitted the world number four. “I enjoyed playing under the closed roof. The court kind of felt quicker, but that didn’t stop me from playing the game I wanted to play.
“I’m always trying to find to find solutions, find ways to fix my mistakes and get a better outcome – that was the case today.
“I was able to maintain the high levels of concentration and deliver good tennis in moments where I had to. It was a very-well balanced game, mentally.”
The 22-year-old will now face either Frenchman Ugo Humbert or Miomir Kecmanovic as he eyes a spot in the Tokyo Olympics quarter-final.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner