Sony Ericsson Championships: Thursday preview
The Williams sisters will take centre stage on day three of the 2008 Sony Ericsson Championships as they go head to head in the second match on centre court.
A win for Venus would guarantee her place in the semi-finals of the $4.45 million end-of-season showcase having won her opening Maroon Group encounters against Dinara Safina and Elena Dementieva.
The Williams sisters have played a whopping 17 times in their careers, with Serena ahead 9-8 after clinching their most recent meeting 7-6, 7-6 in the quarter-finals of the US Open.
Serena will go into Thursdays clash as slight favourite after an impressive first outing on day two when she crushed Safina 6-4, 6-1.
World No.1 Jelena Jankovic will open proceedings against Svetlana Kuznetsova and if, as expected, she beats the Russian she will end Ana Ivanovics interest in the event.
A victory for top seed Jankovic would guarantee her qualification from the White Group into the semi-finals along with surprise package Vera Zvonareva.
The last match on court will see Safina take on Dementieva. While world No.2 Safina is now unlikely to reach the semi-finals having lost to both Williams sisters, Dementieva will be hoping to keep her dreams of a place in the last four alive with a victory.
Thursday order of play (5pm start local time)
1. Jankovic vs. Kuznetsova
2. S.Williams vs. V.Williams
3. Safina vs. Dementieva
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner