Social Slice: British bliss; happy birthday Venus Williams
For Social Slice today, Britons thrive at Queen’s Club and happy birthday to Venus Williams!
For the first time since 2016, two British players are through to the quarter-finals at Queen’s.
— ATP Media Info (@ATPMediaInfo) June 16, 2021
Cameron Norrie put on an impressive display against Aslan Karatsev, while the fairytale run for 19-year-old Jack Draper continued against Alexander Bublik.
Something we’ve learned about Jack Draper this week is that he produces his best tennis in the biggest moments.
This backhand on set point was the perfect example.
— cinch Championships (@QueensTennis) June 16, 2021
Moving to the women’s game, a veteran of the WTA tour celebrates her birthday today. Seven-time Slam singles champion and 14-time Slam doubles champion Venus Williams turns 41 today after receiving a wildcard to compete in her 23rd Wimbledon.
A number of tributes went up on social media, including this correction from a sports anchor to a radio station who made a slight blunder regarding the superstars career accolades.
Venus Williams has never won either of those… but happy birthday to her 😎 https://t.co/s0oGZ5qYFe
— Jonah Byakutaaga Wamani (@JonahByakutaaga) June 17, 2021
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner