Simona Halep felt ‘positive’ despite defeat in Montreal comeback
Simona Halep lost in the second round at the Canadian Open but felt ‘positive’ following a lengthy spell recovering from a calf tear.
The two-time Grand Slam champion tore her left calf muscle during the Italian Open which forced her out of French Open, Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics.
The Romanian made her first appearance on court in four months and battled with Danielle Collins for nearly three hours in the second round before going down 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
— wta (@WTA) August 12, 2021
“Very positive about how I played today,” she said. “A little bit unexpected because after three months that you cannot play much tennis, you come and play three hours at a very high level with someone that is winning lately matches and tournaments. So I’m really happy with the way I played.”
The 2019 Wimbledon has dropped down to 10th in the world rankings, but will be confident of finishing 2021 strongly. Halep is expected to return next at Western and Southern Open, before switching focus to the US Open which starts later this month.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner