Second Service: Tsitsipas lands another title; Ruud inspired by Federer
For today’s Second Service, we review Stefanos Tsitsipas’ Lyon triumph, Casper Ruud speaks on influence of Roger Federer, and Jamie Murray backs brother Andy for a comeback.
Stefanos Tsitsipas continued his impressive 2021 season by claiming his 7th ATP career title and second of 2021.
“It wasn’t an easy match, I had to handle the nerves and all these things. I’m proud of my performance and the way I stayed focused towards my goal,” the Greek said on the final in Lyon, having defeated Cameron Norrie, 6-3, 6-3.
Tsitsipas also heaped praise on his semi-final opponent and next-gen prospect Lorenzo Musetti, saying “I see him at the top. I see no reason he won’t be there.”
Another young player with a successful week was Norwegian 22-year-old Casper Ruud, who secured his second ATP career title in Geneva.
Ruud also revealed how Roger Federer has inspired improvements in his game, specifically the serve.
“That gave me some inspiration looking at the way he’s serving. He’s not the tallest guy, but he always had a big serve,” Ruud said in his post-final press conference.
Finally, Andy Murray has received more support for his comeback to the tour from a source closer to home than most. Brother Jamie Murray believes that Andy’s game is already at a high level, but that he needs opportunities to gain match fitness and a run of form.
“For him, he just needs to get a clear run of events, and that is what has been difficult for him for various reasons over the last few months,” Jamie Murray tols BBC Scotland
“His game is good, he just needs the chance to compete,” he added.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo for Tsitsipas images)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner