Second Service: Stefanos Tsitsipas aiming higher; Denis Shapovalov full of confidence
On Second Service today, Stefanos Tsitsipas is aiming for more than his career-high top three and Denis Shapovalov is growing in confidence.
Firstly, Tsitsipas traded places with Rafael Nadal for third and fourth spot in the ATP rankings this week, though admitted he is nowhere near his goal.
“I’m happy to be in that position,” Tsitsipas told ATPTour.com. “It’s been a goal of mine.
“Top three has significant value to me. [But] I’m aiming for more,” the Greek revealed.
In other news, Shapovalov is supremely confident heading to the hard courts of Toronto as he rides the high of an impressive Wimbledon campaign.
The Canadian star believes his performance against Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon shows he has the ability to compete with any player who comes his way.
“I showed everyone that I can play against any player,” Shapovalov said according to Punto de Break. “I had a great game against Djokovic [at Wimbledon].
“I felt that my game was really at the level necessary to reach the final and even be able to lift the title.”
Lastly, Olympic bronze medallist Elina Svitolina believes her success in Tokyo could inspire her for the upcoming hard-court swing in America.
The former world number one has not enjoyed a great start to 2021, losing in the third round at Roland Garros before suffering a second round exit at Wimbledon last month, though believes she is hitting form at the right time.
“Coming back strong at the Olympics, playing some great tennis even when I was down. Winning that medal really inspired me to play until the very last point and to fight for what I want,” Svitolina said.
“I’m now more happy and really in a good mood for the US swing.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner